The Cowboy Pastor’s Wife: 15 sayings we don’t hear anymore
October 13, 2016
He had written them down for me once before.
Sayings…you know the kind that make you stop and think.
I had lost the letter with these sayings, in a house fire. Almost ten years later and upon my request, he wrote them down again. His name is Hank, my father-in-law…also known as Gramps.
They are the kind of short bits of wisdom, you get all sandwiched into one or two lines. I wouldn't care about them if they weren't from someone I greatly admired. Gramps is known as a good storyteller and a man who walks with integrity. He is the dad I've relied on since mine has been gone – the one who raised a good man, actually five of them, and has influenced many more young men.
No telling how many horses, kids, and grandkids he's hauled down the road to a show, horse camp, or out to the pasture. All with these sayings. Saying one to one of the buttons, as they were getting out to open a gate, working in the pens, returning to college, or leaving the house. Never skipping a beat as to question his remark. Here's just some of them but I'm sure there are more.
15 Sayings We Don't Hear Anymore
Recommended Stories For You
1. When I started to college my Daddy was dumb as a post— by the time I graduated he was a genius!
2. Whether you are training a horse or bringing up a child— it's not about the bit or bosal …it's about the hands on the reins!
3. Don't grow too soon old…and too late smart.
4. I didn't get these knots on my bald head— by laying home in bed
5. Never trust a boar hog, stud horse, or bull! I don't care who gentled them!
6. You won't miss the water 'til the well goes dry.
7. …two things in life impossible to do— run water uphill or put stripped toothpaste back in the tube.
8. Two of the hardest things to do are jump a 5-wire fence leanin' toward you or kiss a girl leavin' away from you.
9. 'Tis better to remain silent and be thought a fool…than to speak and remove all doubt.
10. Even a blind hog will find an acorn once in awhile…
11. You can learn something from everyone. Even if it's how not to do it!
12. Never judge a book by its cover, a horse by it's color, or a man by the clothes he wears.
13. …A man works from sun to sun. A woman's work is never done.
14. Quickest way to double your money…fold it over and put it back in your pocket.
15. Walk out like you're going someplace…even if you're not.
You may have grown up with some that are similar. But whatever the case it's these words that make us stop and think. Some of these sayings above, even have Biblical roots. We find them all throughout God's Word. I hope we can take His sayings, and make them a part of who we are, who are children are, and pass them down to generations to come.
Proverbs 17:24 NIV
"A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool's eyes wander to the ends of the earth.
What sayings did you grow up hearing?"