First Belle Jackpot of season to be May 25
May 4, 2016
Dates and Events Announced for 2016 Belle Jackpots
The Belle Jackpot Association (BJA) announces its event dates for 2016, which are held at the Roundup Rodeo Grounds on selected Wednesday evenings in Belle Fourche, South Dakota. The dates are: May 25; June 3 and 8; July 27; and August 3 and 17. The rain date is June 22. ET Sports of Belle Fourche is again sponsoring the facility fees for all of 2016, which is helping BJA keeps its entry and membership fees the same since 2014.
Belle Jackpot Association, which began in 1993, is a nonprofit association which provides barrel racing, pole bending, goat tying and roping events for families at a reasonable price. The BJA entry office at the Roundup Grounds opens at 4:30 p.m., under the supervision of Secretary /Treasurer Jennifer Galloway.
As in past years, both arenas at the Roundup Grounds will be used. The West (main) Arena order of events is:
· 4 p.m. to 5:45 p.m.: Barrel Exhibitions at $5/run and riders are warned that BJA will be promptly cutting off exhibitions at 5:45 p.m.
· 6 p.m.: Pole bending begins with ages 15-18, then 11-14, followed by 8-10, 0-7 and the Open 4D
Recommended Stories For You
· Barrel racing begins with ages 0-7 followed by 8-10, 11-14, 15-18 and the Open 5D, which is sanctioned by the Northwest Barrel Racing Association.
The East Arena also begins at 6 p.m. with the following order of events: Just for Fun Goat Tail Untying (on foot) for ages 0-7; Goat Tail Untying for ages 5-7; Goat Tying for ages 8-10, 11-14, then 15-Open; Open Calf Roping for all ages and genders; Breakaway Roping for ages 0-14 then Open; followed by Youth Team Roping and an Open Team Roping Drawpot.
The events are run by volunteers. The main arena and barrel racing director is Lorita Crofford. A pole bending event director is needed. The east arena event director and calf roping event director is Neil (Shorty) Engesser, with the help of event directors Faye Pelster, "for fun only" goat tail untying; Becky Barry, goats; Jason Grubb, breakaway roping; and Kevin Jaeger, team roping. Curt Westland is the east arena announcer.
While a BJA membership is not required to compete, it is necessary to earn points toward year end awards. Open event non-members will be assessed a $5 permit fee per night. The yearly membership is $35 per person. If membership and fees are received before the first jackpot is held, there is a $5 discount.
Entry fees, which are the same as 2014 and 2015, are as follows:
· Barrel Racing: 0-7 is $7/entry; and 8-10, 11-14 and 15-18 are $10/entry. The Open 5D is $26/entry. Exhibition runs are $5 each and must be paid for in cash at the gate.
· Pole Bending: 0-7 is $7/entry; and 8-10, 11-14 and 15-18 are $10/entry. The Open 4D is $20/entry.
· The "Just for Fun" 0-7 goat tail untying is done on foot without an entry fee but there are no payouts nor points for yearend awards.
· Mounted Goat Tail Untying for ages 5-7 is $10/entry, and competitors cannot compete in the "Just for Fun" event.
· Goat Tying for 8-10, 11-14 and 15-Open are $10/entry.
· Breakaway Roping for ages 0-14 is $12/entry, and the Open is $16/entry. A string barrier will be used.
· Open Calf Roping is $20/entry. A string barrier will be used.
· Youth Team Roping is $20 per team. This is a one-steer roping. Enter up to twice per end.
· Open Team Roping is a drawpot for $30 per team. This is a two-steer progressive roping. Enter up to four times per end.