‘The Quick 6’ meetings to provide profit tips for beef producers
“The Quick Six,” a series of six meetings around the Panhandle in December sponsored by Nebraska Extension, will give beef producers an opportunity to update themselves on six timely beef topics.
The meetings will take place Dec. 7, 8 and 9 at Harrison, Rushville, Cody, Hyannis, Alliance and Oshkosh. Dates, times and locations are listed below.
Extension beef and range educators and specialists will cover a variety of topics. The list of topics varies from one location to another, but all topics are short and sweet at 15 minutes each. Pre-registration is encouraged one week prior, but walk-ins are welcome.
The following is the suite of 13 topics that will be offered. Six of these will be covered at each location. Local Extension educators have topic lists for each site.
Date, time and location for each meeting, with registration information:
• Dec. 7, Harrison: 10 a.m. MST, fire hall; call 308-327-2312 to register.
• Dec. 7, Rushville: 3 p.m. MST, Security First Insurance Building; call 308-327-2312 to register.
• Dec. 8, Cody: 10 a.m. MST, Community Hall; call 402-376-1850 to register.
• Dec. 8, Hyannis: 3 p.m. MST, Grant County Courthouse basement; call 308-645-2267 to register.
• Dec. 9, Alliance: 10 a.m. MST, Alliance City Library; call 308-327-2312 to register.
• Dec. 9, Oshkosh: 3 p.m. MST at Wesleyan Church; call 308-772-3311 to register.
The complete list of potential topics:
• Leasing Cows (Aaron Berger, Beef Educator)
• Milk: the Double-edged Sword of the Beef Cowherd (Jay Jenkins, Beef Educator)
• Restore or Improve Poor-Condition Pastures (Mitch Stephenson, Range and Forage Specialist)
• Unit Cost of Production (Aaron Berger and Bethany Johnston, Beef Educators)
• Tips and Tools for Getting More Cows Bred Early (Jay Jenkins and Meredith Bremer)
• Value of Implanting Calves at Branding (Karla Jenkins, Cow-Calf/Range Management Specialist)
• Which Feed is the Best Bargain, Using the Feed Cost Calculator (Meredith Bremer, Beef Educator)
• Windrow Grazing (Aaron Berger)
• Winter Grazing of Crop Residue (Karla Jenkins)
• Weed Management on Meadows and Rangelands (Mitch Stephenson) F