$25,000 in scholarships available to eligible South Dakota high school seniors
HURON, SD – For the fifth straight year, Farmers Union Insurance, in cooperation with the South Dakota Farmers Union Foundation, is offering $25,000 in scholarships to eligible high school seniors in South Dakota through the “Insuring a Brighter Tomorrow” scholarship program. Twenty-five high school seniors from across the state who plan to continue post-secondary education at a college, university, or technical school in the state of South Dakota will each receive $1,000.
The scholarships are funded with support from Farmers Union Insurance agents in South Dakota and the South Dakota Farmers Union Foundation. The application deadline is April 15, 2012. Scholarship recipients will be selected based on the applicant’s academic records, school and community involvement, and financial need. The applicant will also be required to submit a written essay entitled, “How do you hope to impact a Brighter Tomorrow in South Dakota?”
Applicants must meet one of the following requirements:
• South Dakota high school senior whose parent or parents are current policyholders of Farmers Union Insurance
• Member of South Dakota Farmers Union
• A “Friend of the Farmers Union Foundation” (Defined as those who have contributed $25 or more to the Foundation in the past year)
• Participant in any South Dakota High School Activities Association (SDHSAA)-sanctioned event.
• Complete application form (available from school counselors, local Farmers Union Insurance Agents, or at http://www.sdfufoundation.org )
• Provide copy of high school transcript and ACT/SAT score
• Provide a letter of recommendation
• Submit written essay (less than 500 words)
• Provide billfold-sized portrait picture
Return materials to: Farmers Union Insurance, Attn: Wayne Bartscher, P.O. Box 1388, Huron, SD 57350.
For more information call Farmers Union Insurance: 1-800-933-2841.
– South Dakota Farmers Union