Badlands Circuit Championship Begins
MINOT, N.D. (October 9, 2014) – The first night of the Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo kicked off with four North Dakotans winning first place in their respective events.
On the Thursday night performance of the Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo, hosted by the Minot Y’s Men’s Rodeo, in Minot, Ty Breuer, Mandan, Preston Billadeau, Parshall, Jesse Fredrickson, Upham, and Bobbi Grann, Sheyenne, won their respective events: Breuer in the bareback riding, Billadeau and Fredrickson as team ropers, and Grann in the barrel racing.
For Breuer, it’s been a year of rebuilding. The 24 year old cowboy didn’t begin his rodeo season till July, after having surgery on an elbow last December. He qualified for his first National Finals Rodeo last year, but in the third round tore a tendon in the elbow and broke two bones. After surgery, he made sure it healed, holding off on his rodeo till halfway through the season. “I knew I’d have to rodeo hard if I’d even have a chance (of qualifying for the National Finals Rodeo), so instead of coming back early and hurting it again and having to sit out, I’d give it time.”
Even with only three months left in the rodeo year (the season ends on September 30), he still finished eighteenth in the world. He’s come into this weekend’s Badland Circuit Finals in fourth place, with $9,300 won, about $4,200 behind the number one man, Joe Gunderson.
In Minot on Thursday night, Ty scored 84 points on the Sutton Rodeo Co. horse Time Rental. His younger brother, Casey, also a bareback rider, missed his horse out in tonight’s performance, causing him to have a zero score for the round.
In the team roping, Billadeau and Fredrickson roped their steer in 5.6 seconds, a half-second faster than the number two team, Clint Gorrell, Beach, N.D., and Levi O’Keefe, Mohall, N.D. Billadeau and Fredrickson hadn’t roped together for four years, after qualifying for the Badlands Circuit Finals from 2008 through 2010. The partnership has worked well. They came into the Finals in third and fourth place, respectively, and after their win tonight, have made a move upwards since the number one team, J.B. Lord and his son Levi Lord, missed their steer tonight.
Billadeau and his wife Leann have a six month old daughter, Braylee, and between her and his work as a farmer, he rodeos in the Badlands Circuit. “We tried to stay closer to home,” he said. “We had pretty good luck. We had a good summer.”
Other first go-round winners were steer wrestler Reed Petersek, Colome, S..D. (3.7), saddle bronc rider Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D., (85), barrel racer Bobbi Grann, Sheyenne, N.D. (14.09), tie-down roper Riley Pruitt, Gering, Neb. (7.9), and bull rider Jeff Bertus, Avon, S.D. (82).
The second, third and fourth rounds of the Circuit Finals continue Oct. 10-12. Tomorrow night’s rodeo is the annual Tough Enough to Wear Pink performance, with monies raised going to benefit cancer patients through the Trinity Health Exercise Rehab Program in Minot. Over the past seven years, over $400,000 has been raised. For more information on the rodeo, visit MinotYsMensRodeo.com. For full results from this night’s rodeo, visit ProRodeo.com.
Results, 1st Go-Round Badlands Circuit Finals Rodeo, hosted by the Minot Y’s Men’s Rodeo
October 9, 2014
1. Ty Breuer, Mandan, N.D. 84 points on Sutton Rodeo’s Time Rental; 2. Mac Erickson, Sundance, Wyo. 81; 3. Zane Forester, Hazen, N.D. 75; 4. (tie) Joe Gunderson Agar, S.D. and John Addison, Midland, S.D. 73 points each
1. Reed Petersek, Colome, S.D. 3.7 seconds; 2. (tie) Tom Hansen, Killdeer, N.D. and Forest Sainsbury, Camp Crook, S.D. 3.8 each; 4. (tie) Brett Gumb, Burwell, Neb. and Jim Hansen, Watford City, N.D. 3.9.
1. Preston Billadeau, Parshall, N.D./Jesse Fredrickson, Upham, N.D. 5.6 seconds; 2. Clint Gorrell, Beach, N.D./Levi O’Keefe, Mohall, N.D. 6.1; 3. Turner Harris, Killdeer, N.D./Ross Carson, Killdeer, N.D. 6.4; 4. Brady Wakefield, O’Neill, Neb./Paul Griemsman, Piedmont, S.D. 7.2.
Saddle Bronc Riding
1. Cole Elshere, Faith, S.D. 85 points on Sutton Rodeo’s South Point; 2. Jeff Willert, Belvidere, S.D. 82; 3. Louie Brunson, Interior, S.D. 81; 4. Jeremy Meeks, Belle Fourche, S.D. 79.
1. Bobbi Grann, Sheyenne, N.D. 14.09 seconds; 2. Kaylee Gallino, Wasta, S.D. 14.17; 3. Jessica Routier, Buffalo, S.D. 14.24; 4. Britany Dias, Solen, N.D. 14.28.
1. Riley Pruitt, Gering, Neb. 7.9 seconds; 2. Paul David Tierney, Oral, S.D. 10.2; 3. Dane Kissack, Spearfish, S.D. 11.6; 4. Joe Schmidt, Belfield, N.D. 12.4.
1. Jeff Bertus, Avon, S.D. 82 points on Korkow Rodeo’s My Sacrifice; 2. Taryl Smith, Litchville, N.D. 78; 3. (tie ) Jess Davison, Miles City, Mont. and Stetson Lawrence, Williston, N.D. 77 points each.
–Minot Ys Men’s Rodeo
Pierre, SD – The South Dakota Beef Industry Council (SDBIC) announced the winners of the Sturgis Beef Throwdown competitions during the 82nd Annual City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota on August 12,…
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User