Celebrate National Ag Week
Joining states across the country, Gov. Dennis Daugaard has proclaimed March 13-19 as National Ag Week in South Dakota. March 15 is National Ag Day. This year’s theme is “Agriculture: Stewards of a Healthy Planet.”
National Agriculture Week is a time to reflect on the importance of South Dakota’s farmers and ranchers and the state’s agriculture industry.
“South Dakota farmers and ranchers are truly stewards of the land,” said Lucas Lentsch, Secretary of Agriculture. “They are raising more on fewer acres and competing in a challenging global marketplace. All, while also protecting South Dakota’s precious soil and water resources.”
National Agriculture Day is also a reminder of the impact agriculture has in South Dakota.
• Agriculture is our state’s No. 1 industry, with a $25.6 billion annual economic impact
• Agriculture generates more than 30 percent of our state’s economic activity
• Agriculture and its associated industries employ more than 115,000 (1 in 5) South Dakotans
• South Dakota is home to 31,300 farms with an average size of 1,383 acres
• 98 percent of farms and ranches in South Dakota are family owned and operated
• Each producer raises enough food to feed 155 people in the world
The National Agriculture Day program encourages every American to:
• Understand how food and fiber products are produced
• Value the essential role of agriculture in maintaining a strong economy
• Appreciate the role agriculture plays in providing safe, abundant and affordable products
• Acknowledge and consider career opportunities in the agriculture, food, fiber and renewable resource industries.
–South Dakota Dept. of Ag
Pierre, SD – The South Dakota Beef Industry Council (SDBIC) announced the winners of the Sturgis Beef Throwdown competitions during the 82nd Annual City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally in Sturgis, South Dakota on August 12,…
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User