Dakota sheep producers to gather for education and discussion
April 1, 2013
Everyone is welcome – families and individuals – to attend the sheep-focused educational program in southwestern N.D., and northwestern S.D., Saturday, March 16th. Please RSVP by March 13, to David Ollila Extension Sheep Field Specialist, SDSU (contact information at end) if you plan to attend this event sponsored by NDSU HREC in Hettinger, ND.
The proposed itinerary is as follows:
9 a.m. MST – Dakota Ram Test Results – NDSU – Hettinger Research and Extension Center, Hettinger, ND.
Topics will include:
1. How the Dakota Ram Test is conducted
2. Data, results and use of information for selection of rams
Recommended Stories For You
3. Inspection and "Cowboy" auction of selected rams.
(Cowboy Auction- Any producer with a ram on the test that they wish to sell can place a floor price on the board for the ram, others can raise the bid until a set "time" and the winning bidder settles up with the producer at the end of the auction)
11a.m. – Hettinger Classroom –Drought Planning and Use of the USDA-NRCS SD Drought Tool.
12 p.m. – Lunch – With a presentation of sheep industry topic updates by Max Matthews –SD Sheepgrowers Association President
1 p.m. – Travel to Dan Anderson Ranch – Meadow, SD
2 p.m. – 1 . View Dan's mob grazing plan for sheep, fencing, water, philosophy and goals for grazing, drought plans, triggers, action and contingencies.
2. Learn how to clip and measure forage production and use.
3. Learn how to use a Robel Pole to determine production and use
5 p.m.- Pie and Coffee in Bison, SD
1. Discuss topics and dates for next program. (see attached symposium. Should we do another trip like we did to Pipestone? We could work in some stops along the way. Families welcome?) We have new money to promote Emerging Entreprenuers in ND, WY and MT.
2. "Emerging Sheperds" Meeting.
To RSVP or for more information, contact David Ollila, Extension Sheep Field Specialist, South Dakota State University, Rapid City Regional Center, 1530 Samco Road, Rapid City, SD 57702, (605) 394-1721 Email: David.Ollila@sdstate.edu.