Governor Ricketts Announces 2016 Winners of National Ag Week in Nebraska Poster Contest
March 17, 2016
Today, in celebration of National Ag Week, Governor Pete Ricketts announced the winners of this year's Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) poster contest. The contest was open to first through sixth grade students in Nebraska.
"Agriculture is the heart and soul of this state," said Governor Pete Ricketts. "The students who participated in the competition know and understand this. Their posters were created using this year's contest theme, 'Agriculture: Growing Nebraska,' and creatively highlight our state's number one industry."
"These students are learning about the important role agriculture has in developing our food supply and how ag impacts our daily lives," said NDA Director Greg Ibach. "Teaching consumers about where their food comes from starts with quality conversations at an early age."
The posters were judged in three separate categories, and the NDA received nearly 1,500 entries in total.
In the 1st and 2nd grade division:
· Governor's Choice: Josh Frederick, a second grader from Falls City North School
Recommended Stories For You
· 1st place: Avery Bruha, a first grader from Ord Elementary
· 2nd place: Brock Niedfeldt, a second grader from Falls City North School
· 3rd place: Turner Hoffman, a second grader from Norris Elementary in Firth
In the 3rd and 4th grade division:
· Governor's Choice: Jordan Settles, a fourth grader from North Bend Central
· 1st place: Petar Petrovic, a fourth grader from Tara Heights Elementary in Papillion
· 2nd place: Carter H., a fourth grader from Ackerman Elementary in Omaha
· 3rd place: Kooper Koehn, a fourth grader from Dudley Elementary in Gothenburg
In the 5th and 6th grade division:
· Governor's Choice: Anne Eckert, a sixth grader from St. Margaret Mary School in Omaha.
· 1st place: Brenda Lazaro Romero, a fifth grader from Knickrehm Elementary in Grand Island
· 2nd place: Abigail Gamage, a fifth grader from Knickrehm Elementary in Grand Island
· 3rd place: Lilly Fuglsang, a sixth grader from St. Margaret Mary School in Omaha
The winning posters and the names of the schools submitting entries are on the NDA's website at http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/kids/poster/2016/2016contest.html.
For a digital copy of the winning artwork, please contact Christin Kamm at firstname.lastname@example.org.
–Nebraska Agriculture Department