Livestock producer workshop to be held near Vetal, SD
The Badlands RC&D Council, in cooperation with Bennett County Conservation District and NRCS, present a one-day workshop: Striving for Sustainability in Today’s Livestock Production Industry, “Alternatives to Improve your Operation,” “Making a Living from Grass” on Sept. 29. Host for the 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. event is Butch Fanning, Vetal, SD.
The schedule includes:
• 9:00-9:15 a.m. – sign-in/registration;
• 9:15-9:25 a.m. – welcome/landowner history-goals & objectives with Butch Fanning, ranch owner/operator;
• 9:25-9:30 a.m. – “Conservation District’s Partnership in Putting Conservation ‘On-the-Ground'” with Sharon Denison-Chairman, Bennett County, SD Conservation District;
• 9:30-9:40 a.m. – “NRCS’s Commitment to South Dakota Livestock Producers & Grazing Lands” with Mike Combs, NRCS Assistant State Conservationist, Rapid City, SD;
• 9:45-10:20 a.m. – “Soil Quality Management in Grazing Lands” with Kent Cooley, NRCS Area Resource Soil Scientist, Rapid City Field Support Office;
• 10:20-11:00 a.m. – “Techniques for Protecting Grazing Resources” with Tate Lantz, NRCS Rangeland Management Specialist, Rapid City Field Support Office;
• 11:00-11:45 a.m. – “Solar Powered Water Pumping Plant Demonstration” with Mike Rossman, PowerPlus-GENPRO Solar Well Technician;
• 11:45-12:15 p.m. – Lunch
• 12:15-12:45 p.m. – “How EQIP can help you as a Livestock Producer” with Sandy Huber, NRCS District Conservationist, Bennett/Shannon County;
• 12:45-1:30 p.m. – questions/discussion, adjournment
Directions to the event: From Vetal, SD on Hwy. 18, travel south approximately 2.5 miles on 237th Street, look for signs on the left (east) side of the road that state: “Livestock Producer Workshop.”
For more information, contact the Badlands RC&D at 605-685-1239, Ext. 4.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User