Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame announces 2014 inductions
Today the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame & Western Heritage Center (MCHF & WHC) announced the seventh class of inductions into the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame. The inductees were chosen from a field of candidates nominated by the general public. Inductees are honored for their notable contributions to the history and culture of Montana.
“Our Hall of Fame voting process is organized around our volunteer trustees across the state and the election process gives the local community volunteers a direct voice in who from their area is being inducted,” said Christy Stensland, executive director of the MCHF & WHC. “Many assume that to be inducted into the Hall of Fame you would have to be a famous cowboy, when in fact, the Hall of Fame exists to honor those who have made an impact in their local community and serve as a symbol of this way of life for future generations. This is truly a celebration of our authentic Montana heritage and those who pass it forward.”
The MCHF & WHC board of directors has designated 12 trustee districts across the state from which up to 20 trustees may be appointed. Nomination criteria established by the board for the Class of 2014 inductions allowed the election of up to one Living Inductee and two Legacy Inductees from each of the 12 districts. In the case of a tie, winning nominees are jointly inducted.
The 2014 inductees into the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame are:
• District 1 (Daniels, Phillips, Roosevelt, Sheridan, & Valley Counties): Living Award – John Russell Cloud, Wolf Point/Great Falls. Legacy Award – Don H. Lee, Dodson and Edmund N. “Neil” Taylor, Scobey.
• District 2 (Dawson, Garfield, McCone, Prairie, Richland, & Wibaux Counties): Living Award – Donald Glen Weeding, Jordan. Legacy Award – Patrick Thomas “Spud” Cremer, Jordan/Big Timber and Berney Kempton, Terry.
• District 3 (Carter, Custer, Fallon, Powder River, Rosebud, & Treasure Counties): Living Award – Mary Margaret (MacKay) Ketchum, Plevna. Legacy Award – Odis Oren Harkins, Ekalaka and John Henry “Johnnie” Gilman, Miles City.
• District 4 (Blaine, Chouteau, Hill, & Liberty Counties): Living Award – Loren Jenkins, Big Sandy. Legacy Award – Warrick Rodeo, Warrick and Roger Henry St. Pierre, Sr., Box Elder (tie) and Fred Charles Henderson, Warrick (tie).
• District 5 (Cascade, Glacier, Pondera, Teton, & Toole Counties): Living Award – (three-way tie) Chief Earl Old Person, Browning, Gary J. (Lone Bull) Schildt, East Glacier, and Truman “Mouse” Hall, Valier. Legacy Award – Ira E. Perkins, Bynum and Lyall Sturgeon Crary, M.D., D.D.S., Choteau.
• District 6 (Fergus, Golden Valley, Judith Basin, Musselshell, Petroleum, & Wheatland Counties): Living Award – William W. “Bill” Lewis, Grass Range. Legacy Award – Peter “Pete” Vann, Geyser and Hazel Hash Warp, Harlowton.
• District 7 (Big Horn, Carbon, Stillwater, Sweet Grass, & Yellowstone Counties): Living Award – Lonnie Bell, Billings. Legacy Award – William C. “Bill” Huntington, Billings and John W. Moreland, Jr., Big Timber.
District 8 (Broadwater, Jefferson, & Lewis and Clark Counties): Living Award – Charles Robert “Bob” Masolo, Townsend. Legacy Award – Helena Trail Riders, Helena and Keith William Herrin, Helena.
• District 9 (Gallatin, Meagher, & Park Counties): Living Award – Arlene Haugland, Belgrade. Legacy Award – Raymond Andrew Kannegard, Wilsall.
• District 10 (Flathead, Lake, Lincoln, & Sanders Counties): Living Award – Charles E. “Charley” Lyons, St. Ignatius. Legacy Award – William “Ed” Schall, Arlee.
• District 11 (Mineral, Missoula, & Ravalli Counties): Living Award – Dewaine Carlsen, Florence. Legacy Award – Hartley Lee Lambert, Stevensville and Oral Harris Zumwalt, Missoula.
• District 12 (Deer Lodge, Beaverhead, Silver Bow, Granite, Madison, & Powell Counties): Living Award – Jay Frederick Nelson, Jackson. Legacy Award – Jack & Ann Hirschy, Wisdom and Hubert Latimer “Tex” Smith, Dillon.
Since the initial round of inductions to the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame in 2008, including this year’s inductions, 201 inductees have been honored. Full biographies for past inductees are available on the MCHF & WHC’s website, http://www.montanacowboyfame.org.
For more information about the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame & Western Heritage Center, or for more details on the Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame inductees, please contact Christy Stensland by calling 406-653-3800, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting http://www.montanacowboyfame.org.
–Montana Cowboy Hall of Fame
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.