National invasive species awareness week
Invasive species cause over 100 billion in economic losses annually in the United States. These costs are due to decreased agricultural production or quality, decreased access to markets or environmental degradation such as costs for control and restoration. At least 40 percent of threatened or endangered species are at risk due to the effects of non-native invasive species.
The National Invasive Species Council has declared Feb. 21-27 as National Invasive Species Awareness Week. This is a good time to consider what you can do to prevent the movement of invasive species.
What can we do? Here are some ideas from the Center for Invasive Species and Ecosystem Health:
1. Control invasive and noxious weeds on your property. Use non-invasive plants in your garden.
2. Clean hiking boots, waders, boats and trailers, off-road vehicles, and other gear.
3. Don¹t move firewood. Buy it where you burn it.
4. Use weed free forage when traveling with horses or similar animals.
5. Avoid dumping aquariums or live bait into waterways.
6. Spread Awareness, not pests. We live in a big country, with a lot of people who like to travel. It takes everyone to provide early detection for invasive pests. We all have a shared responsibility to do what we can to prevent or reduce the movement of invasive species.
The South Dakota Department of Agriculture has several programs that deal with invasive pests. Please visit http://sdda.sd.gov/ag-services/weed-and-pest-control/ for more information.
Agriculture is a major contributor to South Dakota¹s economy, generating $25.6 billion in annual economic activity and employing over 115,000 South Dakotans. The South Dakota Department of Agriculture’s mission is to promote, protect, preserve and improve this industry for today and tomorrow. Visit us online at http://sdda.sd.gov or find us on Facebook and Twitter.
–South Dakota Department of Agriculture
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User