Nebraska Agriculture Department announces Agricultural Youth Council
November 10, 2016
Lincoln—On November 7, Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) Director Greg Ibach announced the selection of the members of the 2016-2017 Nebraska Agricultural Youth Council (NAYC). The Council is comprised of Nebraska college students who have a passion for agriculture and who are committed to promoting the ag industry around the state. NDA sponsors NAYC and its activities throughout the year.
"Agriculture is the number one industry in Nebraska offering a diverse and interesting range of career choices," said NDA Director Greg Ibach. "These Council members will have many opportunities to talk with Nebraska's youth about agriculture and all the careers available in the industry."
The NAYC is entering its 46th year with the installation of this group of Council members. Throughout the year, the Council coordinates several agricultural learning experiences for Nebraska youth including: visiting elementary classrooms to discuss where food comes from; taking urban youth to experience farms and what a day in the life of a farmer is like; and visiting with high school students from across the state. The primary focus of NAYC is to coordinate the annual Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute, a five-day summer conference for current high school juniors and seniors.
"NAYC members are the future leaders of our agricultural industry," said Ibach. "I'm excited to see what these students can accomplish during their time on the Council."
This year's Council is comprised of 21 young men and women. The 2016-2017 NAYC leadership includes:
· Head Counselors: Rebecca Cornelius, Madrid, and Maggie Louthan, Smithfield;
Recommended Stories For You
· President: Rachel Ibach, Sumner;
· Secretary: Amanda Kowalewski, Gothenburg;
· Vice President of Promotions: Grant Suddarth, York;
· Vice President of NAYI Development: Sarah Wollenburg, Beatrice;
· Vice President of Communications and Social Media: Logan Kalkowski, Omaha;
· Vice President of Sponsorship and Alumni Relations: Ryan Schroeder, Wisner;
· Vice President of Youth Outreach: Hannah Borg, Wakefield; and
· Vice President of NAYI Improvement: Hunter Schroeder, Howells.
Additional NAYC members include: Eric Leisy, Wisner; Kate Likens, Swanton; Brent Miller, Lyons; Matthew Morton, Nehawka; Brandon Nichols, Bridgeport; Jacob Schlick, Fairfield; Hannah Settje, Raymond; Kevin Sousek, Malmo; Landon Swedberg, North Platte; Collin Thompson, Eustis; and Grant Uehling, Uehling.
To learn more, visit the NAYI website at http://www.nda.nebraska.gov/nayi/ or search for Nebraska Agricultural Youth Institute on Facebook.
–Nebraska Department of Agriculture