NDSU: 2012 BBQ Boot Camps start June 20
North Dakota State University’s BBQ Boot Camp is back for the 2012 grilling season.
• Introduces participants to basic grilling styles, including gas, charcoal and smokers
• Offers information about different rubs, marinades and seasonings to use on meat
• Explains why cooking temperatures are important and how the temperature affects the quality of the meat
• Teaches food safety tips and nutritional facts on meat
• Informs participants about current topics in the meat and food industry and the importance of understanding the world food supply
• Gives participants a chance to sample different types of barbecued meat and provides ideas for their next neighborhood barbecue.
The NDSU Animal Sciences Department hosts the camp in conjunction with NDSU Extension Service faculty.
Four camps are scheduled throughout the state this summer. The camp dates, locations and people to contact for more information or to register are:
• June 20 – Fargo, Megan Kortie, 701-231-7641
• June 28 – Williston, Mary Froelich, 701-577-4595
• July 16 – Bismarck, Cathy Palczewski, 701-221-6865
• July 18 – Minot, Paige Brummond, 701-857-6444
Registration also is available online at http://www.ndsu.edu/bbqbootcamp.
This is the fourth year of the BBQ Boot Camp program.
“BBQ Boot Camp is a unique opportunity to combine great food, great people and our program message on the critical role agriculture plays in all our lives,” said David Newman, NDSU Extension swine specialist. “We plan to hold the camp in even more communities across the state next year.”
– NDSU Ag Communication