Nebraska: Hay & Forage Hotline, options available to ranchers |

Nebraska: Hay & Forage Hotline, options available to ranchers

LINCOLN – Farmers with hay or other forage for sale or those in need of forage resources are encouraged to access a free Nebraska Department of Agriculture (NDA) database that works to connect buyers and sellers.

Agriculture Director Greg Ibach said the NDA Hay and Forage Hotline is available for sellers to call and list available hay, pasture or other forages. Those wishing to sell can call 800-422-6692 to request their information be added to the listing. Those wishing to purchase hay or other forage can access the list online at or may request a copy by calling NDA. The list is free and is updated regularly.

“As the drought continues, forage resources are increasingly in need across Nebraska,” Ibach said. “I encourage anyone with hay for sale or pasture for lease to call our hotline and become a part of the free listing. You do not need to be from Nebraska to list available forage resources with NDA.”

Ibach said all types of forage can be listed on the site, including the availability of cornstalks for grazing.

Potential buyers can make contact with sellers through the listing and negotiate transactions. Ibach cautioned that NDA does not participate in the transaction process nor does the department endorse any of the hay or forage being sold.

Ibach also reminded producers of other potential forage options.

• Gov. Dave Heineman has expanded roadside haying options by moving up the harvest start date in certain circumstances. Anyone interested in roadside haying should contact the Nebraska Department of Roads or go online to

• The United States Department of Agriculture’s Farm Service Agency (FSA) has made available emergency grazing or haying on Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres in qualified Nebraska counties. Anyone interested in this option must contact their local FSA office prior to conducting any grazing or haying activities. A map of approved counties can be found by visiting the Nebraska FSA web page.

Information on drought issues can be found on the NDA web page at under “Drought Information and Hay Hotline.”

– Nebraska Department of Agriculture

Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.

User Legend: iconModerator iconTrusted User