Prairie dog control programs available in S.D. |

Prairie dog control programs available in S.D.

Black-tailed Prairie Dog
Getty Images/Fuse | Fuse

The South Dakota Departments of Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) and Agriculture (SDDA) want ranchers and producers across the state to contact either agency if they have unwanted prairie dogs.

“Wildlife officials will help control prairie dogs that have encroached onto private land from adjacent public land,” said Keith Fisk, GFP wildlife damage program administrator. “Landowners who have property with at least 20 acres of prairie dog colonies within one mile of the public land are eligible for assistance.”

If a landowner has a complaint regarding prairie dogs that are encroaching from public land, contact GFP at 605-773-5913 to request control. All complaints must be received by the deadline of Aug. 15, 2014. Once eligibility has been verified, GFP officials will control the invaded colony on the private land later this fall.

“GFP provides assistance to many landowners across western South Dakota,” said Fisk. “The deadline allows GFP sufficient time to coordinate the logistics of the control program.”

If a landowner has a complaint regarding prairie dogs encroaching from adjoining private land, contact the SDDA at 800-228-5254 to request control or visit for more information or to fill out the prairie dog complaint form.

The state’s prairie dog control program is cooperatively funded by the GFP and SDDA. GFP manages encroachment issues on private lands which have been encroached from adjacent public lands, while the SDDA manages complaints between private landowners. The South Dakota Prairie Dog Management Plan can be viewed online at: F

–S.D. Game, Fish and Parks