SD TB Update – Tripp Co. herd
– All adult cattle in the index herd that reacted to the initial TB test have been removed with federal indemnity. These animals were euthanized and rendered.
– To date, 40 animals have been confirmed infected with TB, including the index cow identified at slaughter.
– We are working with USDA on a plan for disposition of the remaining animals in the herd. (sell to slaughter vs. test and remove)
– Herd testing is complete for 8 of 10 adjacent herds, with no findings of TB.
– Six states have received notification of animals that left the index herd sometime in the past 5 years. A majority of these trace-outs were feeder cattle or cull cows in slaughter channels, but there are some replacement heifers as well. Traces within the state are also being investigated.
– GFP continues to lead surveillance efforts in wildlife.
–South Dakota Animal Industry Board
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
Agriculture Community Pulls Together to Support Ranchers Impacted by Windy Fire