SDSU to host events educational events re: sheep
Adding a Sheep Enterprise to your Ranch
Wednesday, January 15, 2020
Evaluate the Merits to integrating a sheep enterprise into your Ranching operation.
Where: Cottonwood, South Dakota presented by Dave Ollila – SDSU Extension Sheep Field Specialist
Support Local Journalism
Schedule: Gather at SDSU Cottonwood Field Station, 23720 Fairview Road, Cottonwood, SD
10:00 am -12:00 Commercial Ewe/Lamb production analysis
12:00 – 1:00 pm Lunch sponsored by South Dakota Sheep Growers Association
1:00 – 3:00 pm Practical Considerations and Logistics to integrating sheep into the Ranching Operation
Topics of Discussion include:
• Comparisons between Gross Revenue and Input Costs of Commercial Sheep Production
• Shed Lambing vs Range Lambing Considerations
• Multi-Species grazing potential
• Targeted grazing opportunities
• Infrastructure and equipment requirements
• Marketing – timing and product offerings
RSVP by Monday, Jan. 13 to: Dave Ollila, (605) 569-0224, David.Ollila@sdstate.edu.
SDSU Extension Lambing Season Tour
Wednesday, January 22, 2020
Learn the best practices that area producers use for a successful lambing season
Where: Newell, South Dakota
Tour Schedule: Gather at TJ’s Café in Newell, SD
1:00 pm – 2:30 pm – Lambing Time Management, Health and Nutrition Program
presented by Dave Ollila – SDSU Extension Sheep Field Specialist
2:30 pm – Travel to Chet Yost Farm 7 miles SE of Newell
3:00 pm – Tour “state of the art” lambing facilities with numerous efficient and labor saving ideas implemented.
5:00 pm – Return to Newell
• The Yost family will be lambing during the tour. Please practice sound biosecurity by wearing clean clothes and boots.
• “Slipover” plastic boots will be provided
• Tour participants are invited to bring and share examples, descriptions of tools, tips and practices they use during their lambing season.
• This will be a walking tour, please let me know if accommodations are needed.
RSVP by Tuesday, Jan. 21 to: Dave Ollila | Sheep Field Specialist: (605) 569-0224, David.Ollila@sdstate.edu
Support Local Journalism
Readers like you make the Tri-State Livestock News’ work possible. Your financial contribution supports our efforts to deliver quality, relevant coverage of the livestock industry.
Now more than ever, your support is critical to help us keep our community informed about the evolving coronavirus pandemic and the impact it is having locally. Every contribution, however large or small, will make a difference.
Each donation will be used exclusively for the development and creation of increased news coverage.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.