South Dakota: Beef Days start Jan. 11 in Western South Dakota
This year’s SDSU Beef Days event will be held at several locations throughout western South Dakota including: Martin, Hot Springs St. Onge, Wall, Union Center and Buffalo. All producers and individuals involved in the beef industry are invited to attend.
Topics of interest during the Beef Day program include focusing on the ranch system – from range to ribeye. Dr. Roger Gates will discuss allocations of grassland resources for beef production, focusing on the impacts that occur from range management decisions. Dr. Richard Waterman has been invited to present long-term research conducted at the USDA-ARS research station near Miles City, MT. The project involved nutritional restrictions to range cows and developing heifers. Dr. Ben Holland will focus on issues relevant to making production decisions when managing calves, pre- and post-weaning, and yearling cattle on grass. Dr. Matt Diersen will highlight how higher calf prices, higher corn prices, and more grazing can change the optimal product.
Dates and locations include:
• Jan. 11: Martin; Bennett County Library Learning Center, 5:30-9 p.m.
• Jan. 12: Hot Springs; Canyon Cottage State Veterans Home, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 12: St. Onge; Community Center, 5:30-9 p.m.
• Jan. 13: Wall, Community Center, 10:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
• Jan. 13: Union Center; Central Meade Community Center, 5:30-9 p.m.
• Jan. 14: Buffalo, Rec Center, 1 p.m., followed by the Stockgrowers Annual meeting, supper and entertainment.
Please register by calling one of the following extension offices: Harding County at 605-375-3412; Meade County at 605-347-2436; Lawrence County at 605-642-6200; Bennett County at 605-685-6972; Haakon County at 605-859-2840 or Fall River at 605-745-5133; please indicate which site you will be attending.
The South Dakota Cattlemen’s Association (SDCA) seeks nominations for the Cattleman of the Year and the Friend of SDCA awards that will be announced at the 74th Annual Convention and Trade Show held December 12…