South Dakota: Grasshopper control meeting March 3 in Martin
The Badlands RC&D Council presents “Viable Options for Grasshopper Control” in South Dakota Grazing Lands from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 3, 2011 at the Martin Livestock Auction, Martin, SD.
Control alternatives investigated and discussed include: Managed/prescribed grazing techniques; chemical control and biology control agents.
The event begins with registration at 9 a.m., followed by an introduction by Sharon Denison, Chairperson of the Badlands RC&D Council.
The schedule includes:
• 9:20-9:40 a.m. – “South Dakota’s Problem with Grasshoppers” history to present day, by Amy Mesman, Project Manager, USDA/Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS);
• 9:40-10:40 a.m. – “Planned/Managed Grazing Techniques used to Minimize Grasshopper Damage,” by Mike Stirling, Rangeland Management Specialist, NRCS South Dakota and Roger Gates, Rangeland Extension Grazing Specialist, South Dakota State University.
• 10:40-11:00 a.m. – Break
• 11:00-11:45 a.m. – “Chemical & Biological Control Alternatives,” by Justin Keyser, Extension Agronomy educator, Gregory county
• 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. – Lunch
• 12:30-1:30 p.m. – “Assistance/Solutions to the Grasshopper Problem,” by Amy Mesman- Project Manager, USDA/APHIS and Mike Stenson, Weed & Pest Control Specialist, South Dakota Department of Agriculture.
• 1:30-2:00 p.m. – Questions and panel discussion. For more information, contact the Badlands RC&D Council at 605-685-1239, Ext. 4.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User