South Dakota Summer Spotlight, state 4-H Livestock Judging contest
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The 2010 South Dakota Summer Spotlight and State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest will be July 23-25 in Huron.
The event encompasses beef cattle, sheep, swine, and a new market/meat goat show.
South Dakota Cooperative Extension 4-H Livestock Project Leader Rod Geppert, who is the event’s coordinator, said the event is designed to highlight South Dakota youth who are involved in livestock projects and to provide them with opportunities to showcase their talents.
Along with the Summer Spotlight, the event will also be the site of the State 4-H Livestock Judging Contest, the South Dakota Youth Beef Ambassador Contest, and the South Dakota Born and Bred Lamb Show. In addition, a new 4-H Livestock Speech Contest will be included that focuses on new developments of science, technology, engineering, and math within the livestock industry.
To register for any of the events, call Geppert at 605-690-6458 or e-mail him at email@example.com.
Breed representatives for the All-Breeds Beef Summer Spotlight include the following:
• Charolais: Renee Mack, 605-886-2738; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Chi-Angus: Jordan Holt, 605-380-1209.
• Gelbvieh: Jackie Leonhardt, 605-458-2595, email@example.com.
• Maine-Anjou: Kim DeJong, 605-869-2329; firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Red Angus: Barb Weidenbach, 605-852-2264; email@example.com.
• Shorthorn: Kevin VanderWal, 605-627-9409; Kevin.firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Simmental: Cathy Eichacker, 605-425-2391; email@example.com.
• Commercial Heifer, Market Heifer, and crossbred steer: Rod Geppert, 605-690-6458, firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Youth interested in exhibiting swine can call Market Swine Show coordinator, Ben Olson at 605-660-2828 for information.
• Kelly Bruns is the contact for the South Dakota Summer Spotlight Breeding Sheep Show. Call him at 605-690-3620.
• Erin Bergeleen is the contact for the South Dakota Summer Spotlight Market Lamb Show. To contact her, call 605-690-3620, or e-mail at email@example.com.
• Kali Krohmer is coordinating the South Dakota Born & Bred Show, call her at 605-539-9041 or e-mail her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
• Audra Scheel is the coordinator of the new Market/Meat Goat Show, in addition to being the contact person for the South Dakota Junior Point Show Association. She can be reached at 605-344-2597 or email@example.com.
The South Dakota Corn Utilization Council is the primary sponsor for the event. For information on sponsorships, call Geppert at 605-690-6458.
Camping is available for the event. Call the South Dakota State Fair office at 800-529-0900 for information.
Additional rules and entry information are available from several of the specific show coordinators. For an information brochure, please call your county Extension office.
Start a dialogue, stay on topic and be civil.
If you don't follow the rules, your comment may be deleted.
User Legend: Moderator Trusted User
A pasture or lot with plenty of grass or bedding and windbreak is important when calving in the cold.