The battle is not over: Bundy family commits to continued standoff at Malheur Refuge
Cliven Bundy and his wife Carol e-mailed the attached document to select media Monday afternoon, February 1, 2016.
While Ammon Bundy, after being arrested last week, urged the remaining occupants to return home to their families, this document tells of a different strategy. Cliven Bundy, father of Ammon Bundy and Nevada rancher know for a 2013 standoff with federal agents over Bureau of Land Management grazing issues, shared the attached notice to the Harney County (Oregon) Sheriff, giving notice that “We the People of Harney County” and “We the People of the Citizens of the United States” give notice that they will retain possession of the Harney Co. Resource Center (the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge). They call for the removal of all state and federal policing agents from the county, and for a sheriff guard to be posted to stop all from entering or exiting for a time.
News reports indicate that four protesters remain at the Malheur Wildlife Refuge.
According to KGW Portland, “dueling protests” in Burns took place today, with a group asking the refuge occupants to leave, and displaying support for federal law enfocement, a second group asked the federal government to leave, but did not necessarily voice support for the occupation.
The KGW story also tells that one of the arrested occupants, Shawna Cox, was released from prison with a GPS tracking device and is expected to return to her home in Utah. Ten individuals remain behind bars:
• Ammon Edward Bundy, age 40, of Emmett, Idaho
• Ryan C. Bundy, age 43, of Bunkerville, Nevada
• Brian Cavalier, age 44, of Bunkerville, Nevada
• Ryan Waylen Payne, age 32, of Anaconda, Montana
• Joseph Donald O’Shaughnessy, age 45, Cottonwood, Arizona (arrested in Burns, not in the convoy).
• Peter Santilli, age 50, of Cincinnati, Ohio (also arrested in Burns)
• Jon Eric Ritzheimer, age 32, (turned himself into the Peoria, Arizona, Police Department)
• Duane Leo Ehmer, age 45, of Irrigon, Oregon (turned himself in at a checkpoint outside of the refuge)
• Dylan Wade Anderson, age 34, of Provo, Utah (turned himself in at a checkpoint outside of the refuge)
• Jason S. Patrick, age 43, of Bonaire, Georgia (turned himself in at a checkpoint outside of the refuge)
A recent Bundy Ranch Facebook page posting says posts are actively being removed from their page.