Pastor in the Pasture: Resting In The Shade
May 27, 2015
There it is, the windmill at the South Headquarters. I can make it out in the distance. When we get there that means we can rest and get a nice cool drink of water. I'll take that old tin can hanging on the tower leg and fill it from the pipe straight out of the windmill. It's time for a big drink and a few minutes on the porch shade of the old abandoned headquarters. I'll get to lay back on the cool concrete porch with my hat over my eyes and…rest.
We've all had those times when we pull our horse up for a rest. Those were some of my memories in the hot sun of far West Texas. It was a welcome thing to be able to pull up for a spell and rest. Maybe for you it was a wild cow chase. After getting her tied down you let your trusty mount take a breather. He sure did appreciate those precious minutes, as he regained his wind and slowed his heart rate.
Well, you've allowed your horse to take a few minutes of rest in the past. Have you done that for yourself lately? We sure do get busy and remain busy these days. It seems there's no end to what needs to be done and can be done. It's definitely something that folks in the ag industry face day in and day out. However, not taking a rest can cause a few problems if we ain't careful. Here's a few points to think about if it's been a while since you've taken some time off:
1. Health – It's good for your health. The day-to-day stress can be alleviated to a degree if you take some time to get away and actually enjoy the time off. A good hunting, fishing, or camping trip might do your health some good.
2. Memories – I love the memories we get to share as a family horseback. However, there are some really specially memories I have of our family on vacations as well. Take some time off with the family and enjoy making some memories for yourself.
3. Appreciation – If you don't take any time off then you obviously can't appreciate that time away. Plus, if you spend some time away it will help you appreciate coming back to what God has blessed you with as a calling, career and life.
Recommended Stories For You
Summer is fixing to be upon us and we will all remain busy if we choose to be that way. It will take some effort on your part to be able to take a vacation but it will be well worth the trouble.
However, there maybe something in your life that is weighing on you that some time off may not help. A heavy burden that you're carrying around that will take much more than a vacation to cure. Take some encouragement from these words that Jesus spoke:
"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." (Matthew 11:28-30 NIV)
Here's hoping that you'll find a little rest and some time off this summer!
I'll see ya'll out in the pasture!
Trending In: Opinion
- Outside Circle by Jan Swan Wood: Tragedy, ranch rodeo and broncs, PBR/NHSRA link, roping schools
- Skin Problems in Young Cattle: Warts and Ringworm
- Dealing with ELD mandate could require a law change
- Still going strong: Lee Lopez raises horses for more than a half century
- Teaching, breeding and competing: Golliher family does it all