What we can do to help American cattle industry
1. Request Congress enact Mandatory Beef and Pork COOL law like Japan, Korea, Canada and the European Union have in place.
Call Sen Thune: 866-850-3855 or 334-9596; Sen Rounds: 844-875-5268; Rep Noem: 855-225-2801
2. Congressional investigation into price fixing by retailers and wholesalers, ie: the price of beef has not been reduced in the retail sector to reflect the 45 percent drop in live cattle prices.
3. Ban on packer ownership of cattle limited to 14 days before slaughter
4. Require importation of all meats to meet or exceed the current USDA safety standards
5. Break up the big meat packer monopoly with Teddy Roosevelt style antitrust actions
6. Toughen mandatory price reporting especially in the hog complex, ie: eliminate language stating “market prices can not be given because of confidentiality issues” include prices paid by wholesalers for imported meats.
7. Support organizations such as R-CALF, Stockgrowers, Farmers Union
8. Do not sell cattle on formula contracts. It appears to be a way to give us less for our product.
9. Do not forward contract live or feeder cattle without a firm price.
10. Ask for an immediate retention of moratoriums on all cattle from foot and mouth disease (FMD) infected countries.
11. Do business with locally-owned Livestock Market Association livestock markets for true price transparency.
12. Support changes to allow CME deliveries of feeder cattle to be reinstated
For more information contact Livestock R US: Kim Ulmer 605-845-8700
13. Buy locally from local beef, pork and poultry producers. Have meat processed at local butcher shops and meat lockers for best value and high quality of meat.
14. Ask your lender to get involved to help make these changes for his good as well as yours.
15. Have a blessed Christmas and safe New Year!
Outtagrass Cattle Co. cartoon by Jan Swan Wood for the Sept. 24, 2022, edition of Tri-State Livestock News